Thursday, August 29, 2013

I Have a Dream

I have a dream. Those four words are iconic, everyone in America knows who they came from and what they symbolize. Yesterday my mother and I had the privilege of going to the Lincoln Memorial to hear President Obama give a speech for the 50th anniversary. His speech was perfect for the day. Here is the full speech from President Obama:


And here is MLK Jr.'s speech:



Unfortunately, when we got there we discovered that our vision was impaired with some rose-colored glasses. It was 2:45 PM when we got there and the speech started at 3:05 (don't ask me why :05). When we got there we could not see or hear anything. We stayed long enough to take a few pictures, then GTFO.

After walking SEVEN MILES we decided siting a while would be a great idea. I wanted to see Jobs, the biography of Steve Jobs, and my mum wanted to see The Butler. Whatever movie was playing first we would see.






When Jobs was over I was pleasantly surprised. I thought the movie showed he was an a-hole (which he was), but it also showed he was a brilliant man with an amazing idea.

Last week we were in Baltimore, hon. It was amazing. I love Baltimore. The bustle of the market. Being able to walk everywhere. The friendliness of everyone. The weather. The sense of home. All of this is just calling out my name, telling me to call this place home. I wish. I am just so torn; I love the people back in Georgia, but over the past couple years the social prejudice that people always hold is hard to deal with.

Ah, decisions, decisions. One thing that is for certain is we are staying in GA for at least one more year thanks to my one year softball contract. For a year we get to think about our options and assess the situation. After that who knows?

 
Where there is tea there is hope
Arthur Wing Pinero 



2 comments:

  1. I will make no comments about the President but I admire Martin Luther King Jr.
    I also would like to say "I am sorry for your loss." Just remember, your dad is still with you. Just close your eyes and think very hard and he will be there. It won't get any easier, but you get accustomed to it. I know, I lost my wife and daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard,
      Thank your for your comment. I am so sorry for your loss as well. It's nice to know we just get used to it. I don't want to go on hoping it gets better and it doesn't. As for the speech I think MLK Jr. was an awesome man. It's nice to know he made a change and we were present on a historic day.

      -Sicily

      Delete